Yes and no. The Social Security Administration doesn’t offer housing placement assistance of any kind, whether you receive social security disability insurance (SSDI) or supplemental security income (SSI). While social security disability housing assistance often comes in the form of benefits payments, there is no such thing as social security disability housing.

However, there are several other programs that offer assistance to those struggling to afford mortgages, rent payments, and more. 

What Type of Housing Assistance Does Social Security Disability Provide?

Both SSI and SSDI provide income to those who become disabled and can no longer work and those who already suffer from a disability and cannot make ends meet.

If the Social Security Administration approves your application, you can use the money to pay for housing-related expenses like monthly rent, mortgage payments, or utilities. However, SSI disability housing or general social security disability housing doesn’t exist. Instead, the government offers alternative programs for those at risk of homelessness.

Alternative Programs for Housing Assistance and Living Expenses

The U.S. government has several programs that subsidize housing and other living expenses for low-income families and individuals. Most notably, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development offers Section 8 housing vouchers. 


The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), helps pay rent for low-income individuals and families, including the disabled and the elderly. People often refer to HCVP as Section 8 housing.

The program works by subsidizing housing costs using vouchers. The recipient of the voucher must pay a portion of their income towards rent each month, and the voucher covers the difference.

To receive approval for HCVP, you must meet certain criteria set by your local public housing authority (PHA). This could include:

  • Income limits,
  • Citizenship,
  • Criminal history, or
  • Family size.

Several PHAs have housing opportunities for disabled individuals. To find your local PHA, visit the HUD website.


The federal Administration of Children and Families offers utility assistance through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This program helps low-income families make utility payments for electricity, gas, heating, and cooling.

LIHEAP has specific eligibility depending on the circumstances of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant must not have an income greater than 150% of the poverty level, unless 60% of the state median income is higher. This varies between states.

However, LIHEAP serves households where at least one member also receives assistance from the following programs:

Several utility companies also offer payment plans or energy audit programs that help identify ways to lower utility costs.

Other Costs

Most SSDI and SSI recipients qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Often referred to as food stamps, this program provides recipients with a prepaid card to use at select grocery stores and retailers each month. 

For the disabled, the USDA has specific requirements. To qualify for SNAP as a disabled recipient, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You currently receive disability payments through SSI or another program under the Social Security Act;
  • You receive state disability payments;
  • You receive a disability retirement benefit from a government agency due to permanent disability;
  • You receive an annuity through the Railroad Retirement Act and have eligibility for Medicare;
  • You are a military veteran who is permanently homebound, totally disabled, or need regular assistance; or
  • You are the child or spouse of a veteran who is permanently disabled and currently receiving VA benefits.

State agencies determine other criteria such as income restrictions. To find your state agency, visit the USDA’s state directory.

How a Disability Advocate Can Help

While there are several great alternatives to social security disability housing assistance, it’s essential to have the money you need to live a normal life.

At GAR Disability Advocates, we understand the frustration and difficulty people experience applying for SSI or SSDI on their own. Our disability advocates work tirelessly to help clients manage their disability benefits application, from the initial submission to the disability hearing. We manage every step of the way so that you submit the strongest application possible.

Most importantly, we work on a contingency basis. If we don’t get your application approved, you owe us nothing. To speak with an experienced disability advocate, call us today at 201-561-7731 or fill out our free evaluation form.